Meet Tony Peng. The absolutely superb artistic mind behind creative lifestyle and concept design company ENVIE. He’s a visionary. An entrepreneur. A Trendsetter who will dazzle you with his fantastical talent and ingenious designs.
He is Creative Director of the VIE Business Network, TEDxBloemfontein and BDG, owner of NOIR Floral Addict, lecturer and brand consultant… All of that AND an all-a-round gentlemen to boot.
Take a peek into the marvelous mind of Mr. Tony Peng – We are truly inspired!
People will stare. Make it worth their while. – Harry Winston
Entrepreneur and Events designer
So, what’s your story?
Where were you born?
Where did you go to school?
Where and what did you study?
Hospitality Management at the CUT (Central University of Technology, Free State).
What was your childhood dream?
To own hotels.
What was your first job?
Cashier at my dad’s take-away shop.
Advice that shaped you career?
You have the ability to move masses.
What gets you out of bed in the morning?
The possibility and opportunity of encountering, learning, experiencing something great each day.
What motivates you?
Being held at gun point and being told you were going to die, pretty much motivates you to make each second count!
How do you spend your down time?
In bed, watching Youtube or a good documentary like McQueen and I, The September Issue and Munchies.
What does success look like to you?
Being significant to others and finding balance.
What sets you apart as an influential man in business?
I’m confident in my own skin and skills and I don’t pretend to be otherwise.
What are the valuable lessons you have learnt in business?
- It’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon.
- Don’t over think it, just get it done.
- Find the beauty within the chaos.
- Timing is everything.
- You either have excuses or results, choose one.
When I hire I want? What makes a great employee?
A great attitude and positive energy.
Give me 3 words that describes you best?
Direct, optimistic, creative
What are your 3 biggest accomplishments?
- Being awarded the Abe-Bailey Travel Bursary for Leadership.
- Starting my own businesses and
- Presenting a TEDx Talk
I wish I could tell my 22-year-old self:
You’re not going to please everyone and that’s perfectly fine.
Am yet to figure out what it is;)
What other entrepreneurs or business leaders do you look up to?
Gary Vaynerchuk, Anna Wintour, Richard Branson, Angela Ahrendts & Jack Ma
What is one characteristic that you believe every leader should possess?
What advice would you give someone going into a leadership position for the first time?
- It’s not a popularity contest. You need to do what’s right for the vision of the company, even if some people don’t agree with your decisions.
- You don’t have to have all the answers, equip, empower and encourage your team to think for themselves.
Tony’s right hand at ENVIE • The fabulous Miss Pheletso Seleoane
- Colour: Fashion – Black/Grey. General – Green
- Food: Taiwanese street food and seafood
- Happy place: Holidays at home with the family in Taiwan
- Designer: Tom Ford, Philippe Starck, Nate Berkus
- Brand: Vogue
- Band: One Republic
- Car: Classic Aston Martin
- If you could meet anyone living or dead who would it be and why? The late Alexander McQueen, to get a sense of his creative genius.
- Quote: What you give, you will receive
- Book: The Last Lecture
- Magazine: Visi
- Online inspiration: YouTube & Pinterest
Style; all who have it, have one thing: originality. – Diana Vreeland
*Always a pleasure Mr. Peng xx