I don’t know about you, but I’m not really me until I’ve had my first cup of coffee in the morning. Now with winter upon us I often feel I might be over-indulging in my favorite coffee a bit too much. I felt a bit better though after reading that the world consumes a staggering 1.6 billion cups of coffee a day! No wonder that, after petroleum, coffee is the second most traded commodity in the world.
But nonetheless, coffee has a bit of a reputation and I decided to investigate to see if it’s really all that bad?? It turns out that coffee might not be as bad as it’s thought to be.
Here are facts:
- A cup of black coffee on average contains only about 2 calories.
- Coffee is high in antioxidants, (yes, it’s not only blueberries!) and according to studies this is America’s main source of antioxidants.
- Studies have shown coffee may reduce the chance of getting type 2 diabetes, as well as certain cancers.
- 3-5 cups of coffee a day can help prevent the development of Alzheimer’s Disease by up to 65% (you definitely won’t be forgetting that fact;)
- Coffee is a source of vitamin B5, pantothenic acid, potassium and manganese.
- It is known to have anti-inflammatory properties.
Feeling a bit better?? Well, there’s even more good news! Here’s 4 top tips how to incorporate coffee into your beauty routine:
- Used filter coffee grounds can be combined with olive oil and used as a scrub to reduce the appearance of cellulite. The caffeine in coffee is very stimulating to blood circulation and the diuretic effect draws away excess moisture from fat cells.
- Apply a coffee paste under your eyes to reduce puffiness. The anti-inflammatory effects will help reduce puffiness and refresh tired eyes.
- Rub coffee into your scalp to stimulate hair growth and add shine.
- Mix used coffee grounds with plain yoghurt and apply as a brightening face mask.
There you go. Now you can indulge in your favourite coffee and cozy up with a few extra benefits – all guilt free! So drink up and stay coffee smart this winter.
Written by Tiffany from Tiffany…It’s a girl thing our in-house Beauty & Skin Whizz