I think I’m a trivia nerd. I love to learn about everything. What can I say? I’m curious • Adam Rodriguez
I have always loved “useless” bits of trivia and fun facts. So, for this month’s Smart Food post I have decided to share some interesting did you know trivia about my shop, Jack and Jill Food Co. and the ingredients that we use…
The Did You Know of Jack and Jill Food Co.
- Farmer Theo’s crew of clucking Matilda’s ensure that we always have fresh farm eggs on hand.
- The eggs are collected fresh in the morning and delivered to us.
- This means that the eggs are usually less than 24 hours old when arriving in the kitchen.
- We use about (give or take a tray or 3 here and there) 630 eggs a week for brekfis and in our baking.
- Our bacon is small batch artisanal pork belly bacon made by Marcelle.
- The pork bellies are individually rubbed, brined and then smoked.
- Marcelle washes each belly 5 times during the process.
- We use approx. 70 kilograms of bacon per month.
Love is like butter — it’s good with bread.
- We bake our own bread daily using traditional unbleached stoneground flour.
- Our artisanal loaves & burger buns are all hand shaped.
- We have recently introduced a 50% rye bread as an alternative to our white loaf.
- Our baker Moses bakes on average 672 loaves of bread in a month using over 225 kg’s of flour.
Would you like some coffee with your brekfis?
- We have sold 4307 regular cappuccinos and 2645 regular americano’s in 5 months.
- Stereo Café supplies us on average with 50kg of beans monthly.
- Our most popular brekfis, The French Lady is a cheeky little number of cheese, egg and smoked pork neck deliciousness selling over 1100 in 5 months!
- When it comes to sarmies, the Kitchen has prepared and toasted 1348 bacon avo feta and tomato sarmies!
- Bloemfontein sure does love our quiches! Thuli and Poppie’s deft fingers have lined and baked over 2200 quiche cases. Breaking it down into the two flavours we have sold 1049 butternut quiches and 1209 bacon quiches in 5 months.
Who are you calling chicken?
- Ben has roasted over 63 whole chickens in a 5-month period to make over 750 tasty chicken potpies.
- You have ordered over 1000 Chicken and Avo salads since November 2017, making it the most popular salad on the menu by far!!
Good things come to those who bake
- Did you know that a humble banana can cheer you up. Banana’s are the only fruit to contain the amino acid tryptophan plus Vitamin B6, which together help the body produce serotonin – the natural chemical which alleviates depression. We use at least 7 banana’s to make our Hummingbird cake so a single slice is all you need to feel better!
- Makamo has baked and iced nearly 2000 cupcakes in 5 months…
- On average we sell 26 custard cruffins a week, a total of 104 in a month. Go on! Smash one of those bad boys in your face…
- We use locally sourced pure multi flora-honey that is non-irradiated
*Interesting fact: Did you know that almost 90% of the world’s plants rely on pollinators, including many of the plants we use for food. If we lose bees we lose food…
You are the gin to my tonic
- Did you know that the bar in Jack and Jill Food Co. is actually called Dutch Courage? A phrase that was coined after the Anglo Dutch wars meaning confidence gained by drinking alcohol.
- We have 75 different gins in stock, majority being locally distilled.
- The Pink Lady, made with KWV Cruxland is by far our most popular gin cocktail and we have sold over 380 since the introduction of Dutch Courage Gin Bar to Jack and Jill Food Co. in November 2017.
- Did you know that Elephant Gin, distilled in Germany, uses Portugese cork as a stopper and 15% of all proceeds are donated to foundations fighting the illegal ivory trade?
- Did you know that we are open in the evenings now?
- We trade until 21h00 from Wednesday to Saturday and we are open on Sunday’s and public holidays.
So pop in, say hi have a gin and try one of our winter dishes that we are going to be introducing over the next week or two…
Trivial but useful to know…
Written by Jill Nowers of Jack and Jill Food co. • Our in-house Culinary Creative
- Photography: Eye Poetry Photography
- Food & styling: Jill Nowers for Hello Smart Blog
- Location: Jack and Jill Food co. | Loch Logan Waterfront | Bloemfontein