Putting a spring back into your step… a superfood smoothie that gets you into the groove…
Stella needs to get her groove back and what easier and tastier way than the preparation of a Banana Peanut Butter & Chocolate superfood smoothie!
What are super foods?
Google has them defined as follows…
Although there seems to be no official scientific definition of a superfood, I would like to believe there are natural foods that enhance our mood, boost our energy, contain high levels of much needed vitamins & minerals as well as shielding our bodies from cell damage and preventing disease.
For me, a superfood smoothie is a convenient way of getting a wholesome breakfast in to start the day… Its easy to prepare, filling and lasts me till lunchtime avoiding those dreaded mid morning munchies!
The superfoods in our Banana Peanut Butter & Chocolate smoothie are:
- O A T S
- B A N A N A
- A L M O N D S
- C A C A O
Ingredients you’ll need for your Superfood Smoothie:
- ½ cup oats
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 banana, peeled and cut up into chunks
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 TBSP peanut butter (we used the no additional salt & sugar PB from Woolies)
- 1 TBSP raw cacao powder (available from health shops)
- 1 TBSP honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- If you like it smooth, place the oats in your blender jug and blend until fine then add the rest of the ingredients and blitz
- If you don’t mind a smoothie that is courser in texture, blend all the ingredients together
Smart Tips for creating your next super food smoothie…
- Get creative with flavours
- Make the smoothie filling
- Include important nutrients such as good carbs, healthy fats & proteins
- Cut back on bad ingredients such as refined sugars and sweeteners
- Pack your smoothie ingredients into ziploc freezer bags on a weekly basis and freeze… the dirty work is done and a convenient breakfast just got even easier to make…
*SUPER NEWS: The Banana Peanut Butter & Chocolate superfood smoothie – a.k.a the Smart Smoothie will be available to order at Jack & Jill Food co. from Monday the 19th of September!
Written by Jill Nowers of Jack & Jill Food co. • Our in-house Culinary Creative
*Sources: What The Fork Food Blog, Google, Getting’ my Health On, Real Simple