Ninjastic – the display of certain skills or abilities which are esentially ‘ninja’ in every way imaginable.
Meet Margaret Whitfield. Razor sharp and superbly sassy. DJ Magpie is known for her impeccable taste in music and her stealth-like grammatical abilities. Not to mention her killer sense of humour.
Attorney of law by day and Music Maven by night. Ninja and fantastic put into one – Ninjastic.
She’s one of Bloemfontein’s paramount creative forces. An exceptional collaborator here at Hello Smart Blog and a true friend of the OFS Smart Repair Team.
We are delighted to introduce to you, the tremendously talented and delightfully charming Margaret Whitfield.
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams • Roald Dahl
Attorney / DJ (Maker of Good Times) / Business Person
So, what’s your story?
Where were you born?
Bothaville, Free State – Grew up on a farm near Viljoenskroon
Where did you go to school?
- Primary School – Viljoenskroon
- High School – Eunice
Where and what did you study?
I did a Gap year of Computer Networking before Pursuing a Law degree, but the sass I learnt from the school of life 😉
What was your childhood dream?
I was actually a very big dreamer, and even had two imaginary friends… If I think clearly about all the dreams I would say I dreamt of being a leader.
What was your first job?
It wasn’t a job, but I had a little business in the Hostel in Eunice, “The Peanut Gallery’, I sold all sorts of peanut (farm girl) treats to the hungry hostel girls, and even extended credit, lol; I think some girls may still owe me a rand or two.
Advice that shaped you career?
Before I had even started studying law, Judge PJJ Olivier told me that by the time I started working after studying, one degree or career would not be enough, and that diversification was key, hence my life’s work so far.
What gets you out of bed in the morning?
Coffee, and my dog Guinness who needs to be fed, and always wants to play.
What motivates you?
Tough question, but, I’d have to say my family mostly, but also other Entrepreneurs, especially strong women in business.
How do you spend your down time?
I love listening to music, and TV Series = Guilty pleasure!
What does success look like to you?
The Jury is still out on this one, it’s an ever changing journey, can I get back to you on that?
What sets you apart as an influential music maven and entrepreneur?
I think that what really sets me apart is an understanding of human nature and habits. I’ve been blessed with a gift of being able to read a crowd, and in the same breath provide the tunes their hearts desire. My thing was always playing music the people at the function or gig enjoyed or what I think they would enjoy. Not only playing what I like. And being open to suggestion.
What are the valuable lessons you have learnt in business?
I learn new lessons every day, but the most valuable lesson must be to not trust too easily, and that although you may do business with friends, keep the line clear. And collaborate with other creative entrepreneurs, you can’t do it all on your own.
What makes a great DJ?
Good Taste, the ability to read a crowd, confidence and my personal favourite, insane custom Bling Headphones.
Give me 3 words that describe you best?
Determined, Diplomatic and Confident oh and I talk a lot.
What are your 3 biggest accomplishments in your career thus far?
Going out on my own, getting recognition for my talents, and more recently starting a family business that will hopefully bring my Dad, Brother and I great success.
I wish I could tell my 22-year-old self:
Get out there and do things, travel more, don’t be so serious!
Your hidden talent:
I can tie/knot a cherry stem with my tongue
What other DJ’s, artists or entrepreneurs do you look up to?
- The list here is very long, Calvin Harris, David Guetta, Armin Van Buuren etc. etc. etc.
- Oprah, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Richard Branson, Mark Zuckerberg, and so on and so forth.
What is one characteristic that you believe every great DJ or artist should possess?
Well I suppose talent is important, but good taste and the ability to understand people and feelings.
What makes a great entrepreneur?
Courage, tenacity and the ability to get back up again when you fall, and to laugh at yourself every now and then.
What advice would you give someone starting their music career?
Have passion, don’t be afraid to market yourself, get out there and just do it.
- Colour: Pink
- Food: Steak
- Drink: Coffee (AM) / Wine (PM)
- Singer: This is not a fair question… Frank Sinatra, Buble, Elton, Mick Jagger,
- Songwriter: Again with the unfair questions… Elton John, Keith Richards, Bob Dylan
- Band: The Beatles, the Beach Boys, Franki Valli and the Four Seasons, the doors, Pearl Jam, Journey, Oasis, the Rolling Stones, the Travelling Wilburys, James, the Killers, Coldplay, Maroon 5, One Republic,
- Actor/Actress: Julia Roberts
- Brand: Disney
- Happy place: Anywhere with friends/family, great music and good wine.
- Car: Vintage Mercedes Convertible
- Quote: One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain – Bob Marley
- Book or Magazine: All-time favourite book is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin
- Online inspiration: Instagram, Youtube, oh yes and Tali Babes
Concept & Styling:
- Margaret Whitfield and FJ Potgieter for Hello Smart Blog
- Ruth for The SALON
- TOMS – the only music store, Bloemfontein