Ah…the ubiquitous lunchbox. Whether you’re packing your own or one for every kid in the house, there are real challenges when thinking about your mid-day meal. We know you want healthy and wholesome options that keep you full, but we also know that the healthy option more often than not leaves a lot to be desired…
Well not anymore! Here to give us fantastic wholesome lunchbox tips, meet the delightful Jill Nowers from Jack & Jill Food co • Jack & Jill Food co
Jill’s food philosophy is all about the basic principles of good food. Preparing delicious, fresh, tasty meals using only the best local and artisan produce she can find. “There are so many hidden sugars in our convenience foods we’re not always aware of! Packing a quality healthy lunchbox is a such good idea for so many reasons. Whether or not you’re trying to lose weight or just want to pack a healthier option, by making your lunchbox yourself, you are controlling what you put into your food.”
To get you started, here are two deliciously wholesome Jack and Jill Food Co. lunchbox recipes especially prepared by Jill for Hello Smart Blog:
JILL’s AVO BLT SARMIE
- Small batch hand produced smoked Bacon • Jill used bacon from Marcelle Botha Demo Den
- Roma Tomatoes
- Marinated feta
- Fresh Rocket
- Bread • Jill used artisan home-baked preservative free bread by Basically Bread
- Salted butter
Prep and Packing Tip
To prevent soggy sandwiches, pack separate zip-top bags or air tight containers of tomato slices, bacon, feta, rocket and bread into your lunchbox. Keep the avo separate. Slice avo and assemble the sandwich just before eating. Toasting the bread before packing also helps keep everything crisp.
Jill’s Local is lekker Biltong salad – GREAT hi fat low carb option!
- Mixed lettuce leaves
- Green pepper
- Spring onion
- Halloumi fried • Jill uses Papas Halloumi
- Pebre – fresh tomato salsa • chopped cherry tomatoes, fresh chilies, little bit of chopped spring onion, fresh coriander, parsley, salt, pepper, lemon juice
- Dried oregano – Great tip! Rub oregano between your finger tips before you sprinkle onto salad, the rubbing releases al the flavoursome oils
- Garnish with salt & pepper
Prep and Packing Tip
To prevent soggy salads, again pack separate zip-top bags or air tight containers of all the ingredients into your lunchbox. Slice ingredients and assemble your salad just before eating. Mmmm…enjoy!
*Best salad tip EVER: Always have a homemade salad dressing – as Jill rightly points out “you can stand on your head there ain’t nothing like a homemade dressing!”
Here’s a fab balsamic garlic salad dressing:
- 50ml Balsamic vinegar
- 50ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 200ml sunflower oil • use sunflower oil as it doesn’t congeal
- 2-3 fresh pressed garlic to taste
- Salt & Pepper
- A hint of brown sugar
- Put all ingredients into an old mayo jar and close the lid
- Shake it and voila!
Eat Smart Jack & Jill Food co style – Jill’s Top Tips:
- Sandwiches and salads are limited to your imagination and your taste buds
- Put leftovers to good use when preparing your lunches. Consider incorporating some of tonight’s dinner into tomorrow’s lunch.
- Moderation is key
- Homemade lunches almost always taste better.
- Find a lunchbox or bag that keeps food truly fresh
- We went to: Jack & Jill Food co • Jack & Jill Food co on The Pretty Blog
- We ate: Jill’s Avo BLT Sarmie
- We drank: Sparkling mineral water
- We wore: A grey Foschini knit, Zara denim, Aldo Black pointy heels
- Photography: Eye Poetry Photography • Eye Poetry Photography