In case you haven’t noticed, chunky sneakers are cool.
In fact, they have been for a while.
As Vogue Italia described them, chunky sneakers (sometimes referred to as “dad sneakers”) are usually hefty and feature double or triple soles. Instagram influencers and celebrities alike simply can not get enough of their chunky-soled kicks.
Just a few minutes spent scrolling through social media feeds reveal photo after photo of Bella Hadid, Kendall Jenner, Kim Kardashian and Hailey Baldwin rocking clunky sneaks that look like they came straight out of Sporty Spice’s shoe drawer.
And don’t be fooled: Just because they look “clunky” doesn’t mean they come cheap. Some of the most Insta-friendly sneakers are by high-end labels like Balenciaga, Chanel and Louis Vuitton, and come with a 15K + price tag.
Luckily, if you’re into the chunky-sneaker look, Nike, Fila, Reebok and Adidas all have bang on-trend (and more affordable) options, too.
Big Bold Chunky Sneakers are so HOT right now
The thick-soled, chunky dad sneaker has been a favorite of the trendy fashion community for some time now. Perhaps it’s part classic 80s and 90s sneaker nostalgia or maybe it’s simply about making one heck of a statement.
Just take one look at the pics from fashion month and you’ll see everyone rocking them all over the streets of Paris, Milan, London, and New York, dressed up, down, and every way in between.
Sure, the trend isn’t necessary a new thing – Nike, adidas and New Balance have been churning out dadcore wonders for years – but this year marked a pinnacle moment for chunky sneakers. Thanks to the massive popularity of Balenciaga’s Triple S sneaker, designers are now at an arms race over who can create the most outrageous bright kicks to flood your Instagram feed.
How to get into 2018’s biggest sneaker trend
The ’90s are definitely back, and nowhere is that more obvious than on people’s feet.
Yes, they’re bulky and the intense color-blocking is a bit quirky, but if you’re looking for the next hottest sneaker for Summer 2018, the chunky sneaker should absolutely be on your “To get” list.
1. They’re an accessible trend
At nearly any price-point you can find a pair of eccentric shoes. You don’t need to drop R20 000 on a pair of Balenciaga Triple S sneaks, when you can buy a pair of peculiar Nikes or New Balance.
The key is finding something that others won’t have the guts or gusto to rock, then doing just that 🙂
2. It’s not actually about chunky or clunky, it’s about unique
Ultimately, this trend wants you to be you. Express yourself with no holds barred and don’t be afraid to try the boldest, brightest, wackiest sneaker you can find.
It’s about being an individual, taking a risk and adding an unexpected FUN element to your on-point outfit.
The Nike Air Huarache City Sneaker
Unlike anything else, the Nike Air Huarache City sneaker is ultra-lightweight and ultra-comfortable.
A streetwear edition of the iconic Nike designer Tinker Hatfield‘s ’90s running rebel, the classic design is updated with a perforated neoprene sleeve for breathable, snug flexibility, along with a removable midfoot and heel straps to let you customize the fit.
How to actually wear chunky sneakers
- When styling a bold chunky sneaker such as the bleached aqua, black and racer pink Nike Air Huarache City sneaks Smartgirl Zandria is wearing, keep the rest of your outfit a bit more toned down to keep all the focus on your rocking kicks.
- Style chunky sneakers with a midi or mini dress, full-on athleisure look or a classic tailored suit jacket and pencil skirt.
- Keep the contrast in colour but also keep silhouette in mind. When wearing a very bulky sneaker, you don’t want the rest of your outfit to be overly bulky as well –> Balance your ensemble with slim fitting pieces.
- Also a classic black moto-jacket will ALWAYS be your best friend. It goes with EVERYTHING (including chunky sneaks) and adds that James-Dean-cool texture to any outfit.
Get the look • Smartgirl Zandria is wearing:
- Sneakers: Nike Air Huarache City Sneakers
- Black Leather Moto-Jacket: Zara
- Sportswear Crew: Nike
- Training Tank: Nike
- Sportswear Leggings: Nike
- New York Yankees cap: Archive
- Stacked Necklaces: Silvery
- Shades: Bvlgari
Concept & Styling:
The Chunky Sneaker by Jeani Meyer for Hello Smart Blog
- FJ Potgieter for Eye Poetry Photography
- Bloemfontein inner city
- huffingtonpost.com, whowhatwear.com