Spring is in the air
The change of season brings about a switch in my mood for food that lifts my spirits and my energy levels. Soft pink blossoms on trees evoke feelings of happiness and encourage me to get out of my winter slump with fresh healthy food.
This Thai inspired blushing pink salmon burger is complimented by Graham Beck’s Gorgeous Sparkling wine, just what’s needed to keep me in the pink.
Ideally the pink salmon burger should be served with a chilled glass of Gorgeous Sparkling wine and shared with friends for an afternoon of laughter.
Shopping lists out, blender plugged in and a visit to your favourite fishmonger, green grocer and bakery for fresh vibrant ingredients.
The Pink Salmon Burger Recipe:
Serves 4 as a lunch or light casual dinner
- 1 x can coconut milk
- 2 x stalks lemongrass chopped, hard outer leaves removed
- 1 x knob ginger peeled (use a teaspoon to scrape the skin off the ginger)
- 3 x cloves garlic
- grated rind of 2 limes (save the limes and use for burger garnish)
- 1 x green chilli deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 x handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 1 x TBSP fish sauce
- 1 x TBSP soya sauce
- ½ x tsp turmeric
- 2 x tsp brown sugar
- ½ x tsp salt
For the burgers:
- 4 x fresh salmon steaks
- 4 x brioche burger buns
- shoe string fries for garnish
- spicy mayo
- shredded lettuce, because old school is still cool
- 1 x quantity Thai inspired marinade (see recipe below)
The Pink Salmon Burger Method:
- Place all marinade ingredients into the jug of the blender.
- Blend until the ingredients make a smooth liquid
- Place salmon steak into a flat ceramic dish and allow to marinade, covered in the fridge, for at least 30 minutes
- Pan fry the salmon steaks in olive oil until seared on the outside but still pink and plump on the inside
- The remaining marinade can be simmered in a saucepan for 2 – 3 minutes and then served on the side
- To assemble your burger, butter your buns and drizzle spicy mayo on either side of your bun, a handful of lettuce and then your beautifully seared salmon steak.
- Top with the shoe string fries, serve with a wedge of lime and some marinade
Set the table, send out the text and invite your girlfriends to join you in shaking off the winter blues, because life is better with sunshine and a little pink!
Sources & Suppliers
- Graham Beck
- Ocean Basket Loch Logan
- Jack and Jill Food Co.
- Westdene Fruiterers
- Graham Beck Recipe
- Pinterest Quotes
- Sensational Color – All about the color pink / Kate Smith
Written by Jill Nowers of Jack and Jill Food co. • Our in-house Culinary Creative