“I personally like being unique.
I like being my own person with my own style and my own opinions and my own toothbrush” Ellen DeGeneres
Meet Shandor Potgieter.
Radio host. Muso. Influencer. Family man and all-around COOL dude.
To say the edgy rock-‘n-roll tattooed, long-distance-running, OFM Good Morning Breakfast host is NO ordinary guy, would be putting it mildly. But then again, who wants to be ordinary when you can be unique?!
Always in the mood for a good vibe and a lekker laugh, meet the very witty, very entertaining Shandor Potgieter.
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good” Dr. Seuss
So, what’s your story?
Where were you born?
Where did you go to school?
Where didn’t I go to school?!
Bloemfontein (Jim Fouchè) East London (Grens) Stellenbosch (Paul Roos Gymnasium).
Where and what did you study?
University of the Free State, 1 semester of communication science… nice neh?
What was your childhood dream?
I dreamt of becoming a Springbok rugby player, but those dreams got shattered along with my back and neck vertebrae, no jokes!
What was your first job?
I use to perform in coffee shops a lot as a musician, and then my career started growing along with bigger stages and bigger crowds… and bigger tours which lead to radio… I know full circle from rock and roll to radio!
Advice that shaped you career?
Always surround yourself with people that are better, and know more then you.
Bouwer Bosch taught me that. I guess that’s why he decided to surround himself with me..!
What gets you out of bed in the morning?
The fact that I really love what I do. To move in behind a mic and have fun and change lives is truly a privilege – and to top it all off I do it with an amazing team of people.
What motivates you?
My family. It not only motivates me but gives purpose to my actions.
Also I like to set BIG challenges for myself that scare me. For example, since day 1 on radio, I worked towards hosting breakfast and… here we are!
How do you spend your down time?
I spend it with my family and in the outdoors. I recently started running and fell in love with it! Now I’m staring down the barrel of my first SkyRun…
What does success look like to you?
Balanced. You cannot be successful in your career but neglect your family or vice versa, you will be successful when you accomplish your goals in all areas of life, in your personal life and in your career.
What sets you apart as a influential radio personality?
Shouldn’t I ask you that? I think it’s the fact that I am relatable, I’m like that Killers song, only human!
We are all going through this thing called life with no clue what we doing and I’m just here to try and figure things out with you and have a bit of fun through it all.
What are the most valuable lessons you have learnt in your career thus far?
Always do more than what is expected.
The world is filled with people that just want to do the bare minimum and scrape through each day – you shouldn’t be one of them.
What makes a great entertainer / radio host?
If you can’t have fun yourself, how do expect your audience to have fun with you?
You need to realise it is about the audience and what you can do for them. Bring back a memory or create a new memory – that’s where the magic happens!
Give me 3 words that describes you best?
Kind, Determined, Energetic.
What are your 3 biggest accomplishments in your career thus far?
- Well in terms of music it must have been the fact that my band, Oros in ‘n lang glas, was the first ever band from the Free State to be invited to perform at Oppikoppi, and then a year later got nominated for our first Ghoema award, but we kept losing because we were up against Francois van Coke every year! Hahaha
- But my biggest accomplishment is to do radio at OFM, this is such an amazing environment with spectacular people and great mentors. This is just one insane journey to think I started with no radio background and here we are.
- Last year I got nominated for a South African radio award and this year me and my team won best radio show for Best of Bloemfontein and I won best radio personality which is a great honour!
I wish I could tell my 22-year-old self:
Don’t drive anywhere in your pyjamas and don’t get tattoos below your elbows… obviously I didn’t follow that advice!
Your hidden talent:
If I told you it’s not hidden anymore.
What other radio personalities and artists do you look up to?
- If we talk radio, Nick Efstathiou (CEO of Central Media group) has been a big asset and mentor throughout my career. Tim Tabethe, Pieter Moller and Andre Kunz also all played big roles in my career and still contribute day by day.
- On an international level I’m a big fan of the Australian duo Hamish and Andy.
- When it comes to musicians Francois van Coke is just a stellar guy, a great friend and a big inspiration to all. And on the topic of inspiration, Jo Black.
What is one characteristic that you believe every good radio host should possess?
Be adaptable, the way you plan something might not always be the way it plays out… you need to roll with it.
What advice would you give someone starting their career in the entertainment industry?
DO NOT GIVE UP! A career in this industry is worth fighting for.
It truly is the best job in the world, also always make sure you have a great mentor to guide you along the way.
What role does Social Media play in your career?
They always say out of sight out of mind.
Your work does not stop the moment you switch the mic off – Social media enables you to keep your audience engaged at all times. So, use the opportunity.
- Colour: Black – that’s all the colours in one right?
- Food: Anything my wife makes
- Drink: Whiskey
- Band: Kings of Leon / Needtobreathe
- Singer: Passenger / Noah Reid / Ryan Adams (not Bryan)
- Brand: Good question…do I have to pick one?
- Happy place: Home
- Car: Suzuki Jimny
- If you could meet anyone living or dead who would it be and why? Nelson Mandela isn’t it obvious?
- Quote: “A person’s a person, no matter how small.” – Dr Seuss
- Book or Magazine: The Curious incident of the dog in the night time
- Online inspiration: Go check out who I follow on Instagram…that would answer the question!
- The Radio man & his fam by Jeani Meyer for Hello Smart Blog
- Shandor & Danya is wearing the white adult tee by I LOVE BFN
- Little Noah is wearing the white kiddies tee by I LOVE BFN
- FJ Potgieter for THINK Digital
- Reizis Square, Bloemfontein