A V.I.P. YES! Very important pup • Snoopy
So, this month I thought I’d take a bit of a break from our exercise tips and education (it is holiday after all) and instead I’ve decided to blog about one of my absolute FAVOURITE topics… a man’s best friend, the Dog.
In my case, the Australian Kelpie.
The Australian Kelpie is a breed of Border Collie, more commonly known as a sheep dog, mixed with the Australian Dingo which is equivalent to our wild dog. These dogs have been introduced all over the world for their amazing herding skills and ability to be very self sustaining dogs if required.
Check out the video below to see how awesome and intelligent these dogs can be!
I have 3 Kelpies, James (male) and 2 females, Emma and Thyra-lee. Make no mistake, these dogs have more than an abundance of energy and if not stimulated mentally and physically can be very demanding and become irritated in their environment.
For us, these dogs make the best trail running friends and their fantastic personalities are simply infectious.
Interesting facts about the Australian Kelpie:
- They are the 8th fastest dog on earth.
- There has been a movie made about an Australian Kelpie called RED DOG
- They fart a lot 😉
- Kelpies were bread in the 1800’s for herding sheep and cattle.
- Very high energy levels.
- Kelpies are essentially pack animals.
- These dogs have extremely good balance and strength.
As a Kelpie owner myself, here are a few tips on how to manage them and get the best out of your dog:
- Lots of exercise, trail running is a favourite.
- Play games with them, they love pretty much all ball games.
- These dogs thrive on being given instructions so don’t be afraid to teach them new things.
- Make sure you buy them the best dog food, it keeps them healthy and looking great.
- If worked with correctly these animals, they can be excellent with children.
- Make time for these dogs and their love and purpose will be abundant.
- The right amounts of discipline is needed as these dogs have very strong personalities.
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person • Andy Rooney
So there you have it folks, we just adore our Kelpies and they really are a Man’s Best Friend!
Till next time, Cheers
*Written & pics supplied by our health and fitness guru Justin Oelofsen • Owner and exercise specialist at Just n Motion.