Meet Evert Kleynhans. The vividly talented and fiercely passionate new media designer behind television and video production company Rooistoel. He’s a dreamer. An Entrepreneur. A round peg in a square hole. A true creative thinker who will inspire you with his fantastical stories and innovative ideas.
We introduce to you family man, gentlemen and absolute tech aficionado Evert Kleynhans.
Don’t be most people. Most people don’t achieve their dreams – Robert Kiyosaki
14,813 days (on Friday 31 March 2017)
Digital Storyteller (Whether you’re selling, promoting, documenting: if you’re doing it right, you’ll be telling a story)
So, what’s your story?
Where were you born?
On the 253rd day of the year in Kroonstad, the same year that Television was introduced to South Africa
Where did you go to school?
Where and what did you study?
- CUT Fine Arts First Year (did not find all the subjects ‘usefull’ for what I want to do),
- UFS Human Movement Sciences First Year (could not get Global recognition for what I want)
- Apex International Personal Trainer,
- NWU Registered Post-Basic Pharmacist Assistant,
- CUT B. Tech Marketing Management, Media Academy – Master Storytelling,
- New York Video School – Digital Storytelling
What was your childhood dream?
Will have to ask my mom
What was your first job?
Newspaper delivery during the time they switched from afternoon to early morning delivery
Advice that shaped you career?
Make a sale and earn a salary, make a friend and earn a fortune. It’s all about relationships and the people you serve.
What gets you out of bed in the morning?
My morning routine
What motivates you?
The fact that I can inspire people through relationships to develop their potential and in doing so assist them in changing their life story (or that of the company).
How do you spend your down time?
Making myself a great cup of coffee, paging through Flipboard or going for a 5K walk listening to inspiring podcasts.
What does success look like to you?
What I can give back, how many people I can serve.
What sets you apart as an influential man in business?
I know why I’m doing what I’m doing.
What are the valuable lessons you have learnt in business?
Never assume ANYTHING, communication is key.
When I hire I want? What makes a great employee?
Positivity – Open minded, willing to learn and good communicators.
What makes a great videographer?
An eye for composition with the ability to tell a compelling story.
Give me 3 words that describes you best?
What are your 3 biggest accomplishments in your career thus far?
- The work we’ve done for the UFS have won several MACE awards, African Excellence Awards, PRISA awards, IABC awards, International Business (Stevie) Awards.
- Four returning trips to do documentaries in Israel.
- Having lunch with Philip Bloom after a workshop and sitting in Vaynermedia’s New York office knowing that Gary Vaynerchuk is doing a livestream 10 metres from where I was sitting.
I wish I could tell my 22-year-old self:
Know why you do what you do.
Your hidden talent:
… I’m a self-proclaimed barista 🙂
What other creatives and entrepreneurs do you look up to?
Gary Vaynerchuk, Simon Sinek, Don Miller, Guy Kawasaki
What is one characteristic that you believe every entrepreneur should possess?
What advice would you give someone starting their own business?
Be prepared to work hard.
- Colour: Fashion – Black
- Food: Authentic Southern Italian Lasagne
- Drink: Coffee
- Sport: Hiking
- Sport persona: Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Videographer / Director: Tony Scott
- Entrepreneur: Gary Vaynerchuk / Steve Jobs
- Brand: Apple
- Happy place: Clarens Mountains / Campsbay (Recently New York)
- Band: U2
- Car: Classic Ford Mustang
- Movie: Moulen Rouge (for the sole reason that it is the movie that I share memories of meeting Ronel and our first wedding dance)
- Book or Magazine: Flipboard
- Online inspiration: TEDtalk, http://www.inc.com/ , https://www.fastcompany.com/