Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower • Steve Jobs
Meet Busi Maile.
Intelligent, innovative and determined. Busi is as much a lady as she is a leader.
Impeccably stylish and graciously smart, she is the dynamic CEO of C3 Auto Body Repair Academy, one of only three Merseta accredited auto body repair training centres county wide, as well as the Director of Stakeholder Relations & Procurement of OFS Smart Repair and the Smart Repair Group.
A truly gifted and talented young professional, Busi started her first business in her 20s, a unique training program enabling disadvantaged youth to train and qualify as auto body repair and spray painting artisans.
Currently busy with her MBA, Busi recently struck a progressive 3 year deal with insurance titan Old Mutual Insure to invest in youth development in Bloemfontein through training and developing the skilled repair and paint artisans of tomorrow.
We are extremely PROUD to introduce to you, our very own smart, sophisticated and savvy Busi Maile.
Fortune does favor the bold and you’ll never know what you’re capable of if you don’t try •
Smart Repair Group Director
So, what’s your story?
Where were you born?
Tembisa (Johannesburg East).
Where did you go to school?
Waverley Girls High (Johannesburg).
Where and what did you study?
- UNISA (Bachelor in Business Admin)
- WITS (MBA)
What was your childhood dream?
To become a doctor, then a radio DJ & TV personality.
What was your first job?
MTN call centre agent.
Advice that shaped you career?
- A willingness to learn and make the most of all the opportunities that came my way.
- Doing the things that scare me, where I was certain I might not have the credentials but I took a chance anyway.
What gets you out of bed in the morning?
Possibilities and responsibilities.
What motivates you?
Not letting myself down.
How do you spend your down time?
- Being out and about with friends.
- Love watching a good independent movie – usually at Cinema Nouveau or The Bioscope.
What does success look like to you?
The attainment of a quality balanced life in all its aspects such as material, spiritual, relationships, personal growth, health etc, ….and the ability to live ones truth by being authentic.
What sets you apart as a young woman in business?
Business success is not just for you to enjoy in your personal enjoyment, it comes with responsibility.
If you are able to positively impact the lives of others and lift them up then you are doing work/business that is worthwhile.
What are the valuable lessons you have learnt in business?
I’m continuously learning the value of stepping out of one’s comfort zones. I’m also learning that relationships are a big part of business and they need to be managed with care all round.
What makes a great entrepreneur and business woman?
I think it starts with understanding what you stand for as a person and making sure that whatever you pursue in business is aligned with that.
Also, as a business woman, there’s an element of intuition and emotional intelligence that if used correctly can be a huge advantage.
Give me 3 words that describes you best?
What are your 3 biggest accomplishments in your career thus far?
- The MBA which I’m almost done with.
- Starting a unique training programme in my 20s that enabled many youngsters to qualify as artisans.
- My partnership with Gysie and Jeani in the Smart Repair Group.
I wish I could tell my 22-year-old self:
You are absolutely who you were meant to be and she is amazing!
Your hidden talent:
Art, particularly drawing.
What other women in business and entrepreneurs do you look up to?
Phuti Mahanyele, CEO of Stigma Capital and former CEO of the Shanduka Group.
She has a brilliant mind and celebrates her femininity beautifully.
What is one characteristic that you believe every great leader should possess?
The ability to create a powerful enough vision to inspire others to make their own.
What advice would you give someone starting their career in business?
A belief in yourself is crucial.
- Colour: Blue
- Food: The vegetarian ciche at Iewers Nice in Bloem.
- Drink: Green tea with honey.
- Entrepreneur: Richard Branson – awesome fun energy
- Band: The South African band, The Muffinz.
- Actor/Actress: Nicolas Cage
- Brand: OFS Smart Repair 🙂
- Happy place: At home watching a good movie.
- Car: BMW….. Lexus
- If you could meet anyone living or dead who would it be and why? Mama Winnie Mandela – She is the epitome of strength and resilience.
- Quote: “If you do not define yourself, for yourself, the world will do it for you”…author unknown
- Book or Magazine: Discover the Power within You.
- Online inspiration: Ted Talks
Concept & Styling:
Smartgirl by Busi Maile and Jeani Meyer for Hello Smart Blog
- FJ Potgieter for Eye Poetry Photography
- OFS Smart Repair – the flagship Auto Body repair centre of the Smart Repair Group